Monday, January 3, 2011

Using Imagination to Create

            Nothingness. All white. My mind is blank. I start to think of something, something really beautiful that could fill the empty space. Then lose myself in the process of planning. The canvas looks so white, with the little dots that cave in all over it. The smell. It smells so paint-like. So fresh. I feel so desperate for an image to appear in my head. And I can almost imagine the worlds that I, as an artist can create. People just like me: artists, writers, and others who use their imagination to create new worlds, they call themselves the creators but the worlds we create aren’t our own. We can’t take credit. We merely copy them from the one creator that created us all. It is him that we owe our gift of imagination and many other talents that we obtain.  
            Again I start thinking of all the other beautiful pictures I came across in the painting gallery. Horses. Beautiful houses and beautiful trees. Then a thought comes across my mind. "I know!" I gasp really loud, "I know what I want!" Trying really hard not to loose the image that I created in my head I take the brush. It feels so light in my hands; in fact, my hands start to shake a little when I start to sketch the image onto the canvas with light colors trying hard not to mess up. But it happens all the time. Messing up, its one of those moments a person can not foretell in the process of creating. Sometimes I need to mess up in order to accomplish something even greater. A beautiful tree is starting to reemerge. The twigs are so twisted and dark. The paint is starting to clog up on my brush so I wash the brush with a stinky liquid that makes the paint dissolve. The liquid almost makes me puke, the smells of the chemicals aren’t attracting at all. At least not to me. Then as some time passes and the oil based paint is beginning to dry, I start adding little details. Fruits. Leaves. When time passes I add on little lines on the leaves that would make them seam real almost touchable. Every little megapixel on the canvas is full of color; nothing is just pure white anymore. Everything is full of ideas. Finally. Finally my tree is complete. I feel happiness when I start to sign the painting. “VALPRO”, just like always, and then the date. The white canvas is not so white anymore. I created the tree and named it the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Then I put my paint away, wash my brush and leave the room. I leave the room because I have to change my perspective on my own creation to see the flaws if there is any, and then fix them. Of course there are people out there that are always better at creating something beautiful but using my imagination and skills makes my mind evolve and that is a gift.

1 comment:

  1. To whom it may concern,
    In the poem I mention that I named the tree, "The tree of knowledge of good and evil", I heard that Blake in one of his poems mentioned something about that, but I would like to clarify that it is also mentioned in the Bible. So no plagiarizing ideas were involved. :)

    -Valentin Protsenko

    ReplyDelete