Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Girl In the Mirror

My head hurts as I sit here thinking as hard as my brain could possibly handle.  So much happens in one day all I could do is stress out.  Instantly I think of a young man stroking his chin, while resting his elbow onto the ball of his knee. His eyebrows crunched downward so hard as if something bad happened.  They call this man “The Thinker”.  I thought to myself, “I’m in pain from thinking so hard, so do I look like him”?  I look in the mirror at myself, and I do not see a perfect reflection.  The girl that stands there does not have furrowed brows or the stance that I stood in.  She does not act as a reflection but acts as guidance.  The reflections’ eyes gaze deep into me.  She cocks her head to the side, and she gives me a stern look as if trying to speak.  I question her in my mind, and like an instant response she slowly slides her left foot out, popped her hip to the left, and placed a hand onto her hip.  She does not say anything, but I understand and nod my head.  Although she remains in the mirror, her gaze pierces me.  I feel as if I fought myself in a world unknown.  I retreat from the mirror and rest on the couch. 
My brain has nothing to say without a mouth, nothing to do but throb in pain as I try to color this white paper.  It pushes out pressure I can feel.  It says, “Stop and remember the girl in the mirror”.   I start to empty my mind and go off of thoughts.  So many thoughts come up at a time like dominos striking down at one another, or a rush of water in a river.  Like the white water rapids my brain has gaps, bumps, and holes in the thinking process, yet they both look so beautiful.  The rapids speak to you.  They ask if you would like to join them in an adventure.  The brain also speaks to you, asking if you could explore and study it.  Study it so others call learn and others can teach. 
My mind eases as I start to relax.  I realize now why I did not see my true reflection.  This girl within me knew what I really needed; I needed a day to myself, a day to think of whatever flowed in and out.  The couch starts to hug me and rock me into a drowsy state.  All the stresses of the world and the thoughts float in the air.  Gigantic words reminding me of what I must deal with each day.  No it actually acts as Satan’s spawn.  It causes distress in my life.  I said to them, “How’s this for a change”?  I slowly fade away into a slumber.  The words start to deteriorate, and as each one vanished, a chip fell of my shoulder.  In the corner of my eye I see the girl in the mirror with a smile on her face.  Although she looked like a girl in a mirror, she only existed as me.  She was deep inside, and she knew what I needed.  I smile back and sleep.  I think to myself, everyone needs a break.

1 comment:

  1. This poem is an excellent representation of the psychology behind how one perceives themselves and the world around them. The way I interpreted it was that this girl, the main character, is worried about something--everything--and is a bundle of raw nerves. When she looks into the mirror, she sees the rational part of herself telling her to slow down and to take a break; that life isn't worth getting fussy with right now. When she finally lets go, great things start to happen. Freedom from stress being the ultimate theme; happiness; relaxation.

    This poem was written very well, with many eye-catching details and metaphors. It has deep layers of realization and symbolism which makes it an overall interesting piece. It seems as if part of the author is in the story itself, bringing first-hand, true emotion into play. Real emotion makes the best inspiration.

    It's also very true how everyone needs a break from life from time to time. Most are too busy to notice how much stress affects them and they don't take the much needed rest. A simple peek into oneself can make a significant difference.

    The part I liked most about this prose poem were these lines: "I start to empty my mind and go off of thoughts. So many thoughts come up at a time like dominos striking down at one another, or a rush of water in a river. Like the white water rapids my brain has gaps, bumps, and holes in the thinking process, yet they both look so beautiful. The rapids speak to you. They ask if you would like to join them in an adventure. The brain also speaks to you, asking if you could explore and study it. Study it so others call learn and others can teach."

    The vivid imagery works inside the metaphor, giving it life and meaning. It was mesmerizing to think about thoughts flowing at such a rapid rate without abandon, wearing down the brain, as a raging river wears down the stones on the banks or carves out the sides of a canyon.

    ReplyDelete